AMAZON

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

SCREW YOU TONSILS



 If you keep up with our family saga and you're wondering why I haven't blogged lately, let me just enlighten you.  I'm clearly a masochist.  This month we scheduled Harrison to have his tonsils and adenoids out.  Since he is only 4, he can only have tylenol and ibuprofen for the pain.  They typically give narcotics for that surgery.   Our surgeon very clearly let me know that this was going to be a horrific experience.

Ok, so since that terrified me to my soul, I apparently thought it would also be fun to move.  We've been planning to move for a while and I kind of accidentally/ on purpose found us a house.  So we bought it.  Now we are trying to sell ours and prepare to move.

The last two weeks have looked like this...Get up and clean the house until it looks so fantastic I don't want to move anymore, load up my pissed off, surgery recovering son and get out of the house for hours so people can come look at it.

Do you know how much fun it is to entertain a sick and angry 4yr old (mostly in the car) for hours at a time?  It's not even a little fun.  In fact, it is an exercise in maintaining sanity.  It turns out that while I thought Harrison's surgeon was being quite dramatic, he was actually downplaying how awful this would be.  A lot.

Another great sanity busting activity is trying to talk a tiny man into taking medicine he doesn't want. Harrison may only weigh about 36lbs, but I swear he is as strong as a rhinoceros.  During his recovery I am getting to re-experience the sleep deprivation that comes with a newborn.  Every thirty minutes, I wake to hysterical screaming.  Unlike an infant, when Harrison gets hysterical, I cannot pick him up and comfort him.  He's like an angry honey badger when he's hurting.  You have to try and be maternal and compassionate while maintaining your defenses.  Let your guard down for a second and you're getting a black eye.

So, that's what we are up to.  I thought I should fill you in on the horror I am currently enduring.  Hopefully, you will hear from me again soon.  If I survive the next few weeks, I will blog from our new house while my recovered son gallops around our backyard.  If things don't get better soon, maybe they will give me occasional computer access in the asylum and I'll check in with you from there.

See ya when I see ya.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, this is Adrianne from Oilfield Wife Life. I just wanted to let you know I have enjoyed reading your blog, and I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. I hope you accept! If you do, here is my blog post on what the award is and what accepting it entails. http://thisoilfieldwifelife.blogspot.com/2014/08/really-awardfor-me.html
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adrianne! I am honored to be nominated and will gladly accept. I'm so glad you have enjoyed my blog. I was unfamiliar with the Leibster award and had to read up about it. I look forward to answering your questions and proceeding with the process. Thanks!!

    Heather @ raisingharrison.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete