AMAZON

Monday, April 28, 2014

PLEASE DON'T POOP ON THE FERRIS WHEEL.


This weekend we took Harrison to the local carnival.  I had tremendously mixed feelings about the whole thing.  On one hand, I couldn't wait to introduce him to rides for the first time.  I have amazing memories of my local hometown's carnival.  I was obsessed with the tilt-a-whirl, the scrambler, and other similarly rickety rides.

On the other hand, those things look like they are held together with cotton candy stickiness and hope.  Remember the zipper?    You were in a cage that would flip end over end, and then the whole ride still went around like a Ferris wheel.  Well, when I was about ten, I was standing in line for that ride with a friend, when one of the cages FELL TO THE GROUND.

 I remember laughing hysterically with both fear and delight, at the thought that I could have been inside that cage within minutes.  No one was hurt, thankfully, but it definitely made an impression.

I'm not much of a roller coaster rider, but I did put Harrison on one of those kiddie alligator coasters.  I thought it would be a nice and gentle introduction to coaster riding.  Next thing I know, he SHOOTS away going far faster than I was anticipating, and starts whipping around the bends in the rails.

"OH MY GOD, he's gonna freak out!" I thought.  I was definitely freaking out.  I was considering hopping the rail to snatch him out on a pass, when he waved at me all calm and collected.  It was a two fingers lifted off the bar kind of wave that conveyed "Roller coaster riding ain't no thang."

Then I took him on a simulation of the tilt-a-whirl, but with dragons.  He loved it until we got it good and spinning and then he said "Uhhh, mom?  No."  Just that.  No drama, but a definite "There will be no spinning of the dragon." kind of statement.

Now it was time for the quintessential carnival experience:  the Ferris wheel.  He was back and forth about riding this one, but I really thought he would love it and I wanted him to push himself a bit past his comfort level, so I pressed.

He kept oscillating between "I CAN'T WAIT!" to "Noooo, I don't think I'm gonna ride that.  It's REALLY high, mom."  In the end, he went for it.  He really loved it, but he is one cautious little man.  I got in big trouble for lifting my hands in the air and for rocking the seat. He shouted "MOMMY!  YOU DO NOT LET GO OF THE SAFETY BAR!" and "MOMMY, DO NOOOOT ROCK IT!"

I couldn't stop laughing.  I know I'm evil.  Anyway, the joke was on me because the next thing he said was "Mommy?  I kinda need to go to the potty right now."  Did you catch the "right now" part?  That is my cue to abandon all things and jettison him to a bathroom.  He's completely potty trained, but he does not make idle potty threats.  "Right now" means NOW.  Not in two minutes.

So I started gesturing to Dad, who was on the ground taking pics, to find a bathroom and prepare for a mad dash.  Our feet hit safe ground and we scurried toward the port-a-potties.  Port-a-potties are the real adventure in carnival attending.  An adventure Heather does not partake of.  When I was pregnant, I once threw up on the ground right outside of one because there was no way I was going inside.  You have my apologies.

Dad hovered Harrison and a good time was had by all.  I really can't believe how fast my little guy is growing up.  I know it will be mere days before he is riding the Ferris wheel with a girlfriend (or boyfriend).  Hopefully, by then, he will remember to go poop first.



Do you have any fun "ride" stories?  Tell me all about it.

If you enjoyed this post SHARE IT and GO VOTE for me at Top Mommy Blogger!

1 comment: