AMAZON

Monday, February 24, 2014

IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE.

If you've ever had a conversation with a toddler, you know to be prepared for some very interesting questions.  Harrison asks me no less than 4,127 questions per day.  It seems to me, that every answer leads to another question.

Recently, many of Harrison's questions have been about babies.  "How do babies grow?"  "Was I in your tummy?"  "Can I see some pictures of babies in tummies?"  "Did you get me a book about babies yet?"

Here's the thing;  I am completely comfortable discussing sex.  I have never been someone who gets flustered or embarrassed with the topic....Then, my almost four year old started asking me anatomy questions and I realized I'm not as progressive as I would like to think I am.  It is disconcerting, trying to explain "private parts" to your child.

I have recently covered topics like; who is and who is not allowed to touch said private parts, the purposes for said private parts, the rules regarding private part etiquette and privacy, etc.  It's brutal.  Honestly I don't even know where all of Harrison's questions come from, but there's no doubt he is connecting the dots REAL QUICK.  I didn't think I would have to address these things so soon.  Alas, here we are.

Ready or not, I think it's important to answer any specific questions that my son has.  Would I have chosen to begin these little lessons already?  Nope.   Am I going to have them anyway?  Absolutely.
I want my son to be comfortable asking me anything.  I want him to think critically and seek answers to his questions.  I want him to have a good body image and a healthy attitude about sex.

For these things to happen, I'm just going to have to put on my big girl panties, plaster a mature look on my face, and discuss my uterus with my child.  What's my alternative?  Well, I could always use cute little nicknames for all his body parts, and tell him that penises are icky things that we should never ever touch.  I could act shocked and offended at any mention of S-E-X or procreation.  I could, but I won't.

These aren't the dark ages.  I'm not a fan of body shaming.  I'm all for sex education and preparation, over abstinence teachings.  I believe that sex is a perfectly normal and necessary part of life and that we have nothing to be embarrassed about.

Now... if you'll just remind me of those things the next time Harrison asks me "how does the baby get OUT of the belly?", that'd be just great.  I'll owe you one.



Have you had "the talk" with your little ones?  How did it go?  I would love to hear from you!

Enjoy my blog???  GO VOTE for me at the top mommy blogger banner above!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite answer to how they get out is, "Same way they get in." Good luck, mama. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Anonymous! That's a perfect answer. Although, he will probably ask to see a picture...

    ReplyDelete