AMAZON

Saturday, February 1, 2014

MINUTIA

You know what I love the most about being a mom?  There are the obvious things, like discovering the joy of letting  yourself go because you don't have time to devote to your appearance.  Or the fact that it's suddenly acceptable to wear yoga pants for any and all outings.  It is acceptable, right???  Don't tell me.  I don't want to know.

Honestly though, the moments that shake me to my core, with my little minion, are those that seem completely unimportant.  It's seeing the look on his face while he's constructing something with his legos.  It's the tiny little shoe I find hiding under my bed.  It's the time I spend in the pick up line, outside preschool, because I have a little boy waiting for me to come get him.  It's finding a transformer sticker on my ass while I'm at the post office. 

These are the things that shout out to me "YOU are a mom!"  See, I didn't think that I would get to have children.  I was lucky enough to be born with a malformed group of blood vessels in my brain.  Think overgrown grape clusters.  I had been told that a pregnancy would most surely cause my demise, via stroke. 

Luckily, I am a really stubborn woman and science is freaking amazing.  Over a period of ten years, I visited surgeon after surgeon, until I found one that was willing to drill in there and fix me up.  I'll tell you more about that sometime.  The point is, I had the surgery.  All went well, I was given the all clear to have a stroke free gestation.  Yea!

All that to say, I find myself in awe of the littlest things, as a mom.  In awe and in love.  I won't lie.  I have days that I just want to run down the street screaming and never stop, just like any other mom.  More often, I find myself smiling at things that I might not have appreciated, if motherhood had been a given.  You know, like when you sit on a lollipop...after repeatedly explaining that lollipops do not belong on the sofa. 

You get where I'm going with this.  So, my unsolicited advice to you is this;  enjoy the half chewed starburst in your hair ladies!  It is only in there because you laid down in a toddler sized bed to cuddle a kiddo.  Your kiddo. You are a mommy!!!  It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment